Reading & Spelling Interventions
We offer private teaching services to people of all ages, 5 years old through adult. Our private services include individualized Orton-Gillingham (also known as Structured Literacy) based reading and spelling interventions, consistent progress monitoring, and regular consultations. We offer two different formats – online/remote lessons and in person lessons at our office. Online lessons are one-on-one with one of our teachers, but are held online to eliminate commute time.
What is Private Teaching?
Let’s start by explaining what private teaching is not. Private teaching is NOT the same as hiring a tutor. Tutors can be hired to catch a student or small group of students up on homework after being sick, going on vacation, or when students need a little extra practice on grade level skills. Often tutoring services are offered in a small group setting and worksheets are the primary means of practicing skills.
Private teaching is quite different from tutoring because it is highly specialized. Private teaching is used when students are struggling due to an underlying learning difference. Private teaching is individualized to meet the specific needs of each student and is meant to bring students who are below grade level up to grade level. Our private teaching lessons are always one-on-one, are carefully planned for, and are intense in order to achieve results. It takes a skilled professional to deliver Orton Gillingham (Structured Literacy) based lessons. Our methods have worked time and time again with even the most profoundly dyslexic students.
Why do our reading and spelling interventions work?
READ is able to achieve long-term academic growth with clients because we are committed to using research based programming with fidelity in a quiet, distraction free setting. We don’t believe in a “one size, fits all” approach. The needs of each student is assessed and carefully considered before starting work with the client. We also understand that relationship and developing a positive rapport with students is an essential part of the learning process. It is also important to make the learning process fun. Our students are actively engaged in every lesson. Fun learning games are often used to reinforce skills that were taught in the daily lesson.
Private Instruction Includes:
- Direct 1:1 instruction 2 – 4 times per week
- Customized lessons and pacing to help students progress as quickly as they can
- Multisensory instruction that is taught to mastery
- Partnership with parents so you can support your child’s learning at home
- Coaching and resources on accommodations and support at school
- Regular progress monitoring and graphing of student progress
What Happens In A Session:
- Each session is 50 minutes long.
- One of our first goals is developing relationship and positive rapport. This is essential to success.
- Students progress through a scaffolded sequence of reading and spelling concepts, moving from simple to more complex.
- All work is completed in an explicit, simultaneously multi-sensory fashion. Students sees, hear, speak, and use tactile or kinesthetic learning modes at the same time. This is necessary because it engages more areas of the brain at once. This strengthens learning and memory because neurons that fire together, wire together.
- Our students make excellent progress and experience increased self-confidence. This results in reduced work-place or school anxiety which reduces behavioral problems stemming from academic frustration.