When thinking about ways to help children with learning don't forget to think about WHERE they are learning and TIME MANAGEMENT. See the ideas below for helpful tips!
- Provide a consistent location to work with no distractions on the workspace.
- Minimize noise distractions (background TV, conversations, etc.)
- Fidgets can enhance focus – choose a fidget that can be used to help the student focus (exercise band on chair legs, stress ball, tangle toy, koosh ball or anything that is not a distraction but a focusing fidget).
- Allow extra time or set time limits for projects.
- Define time by using a visual timer.
- Use an alarm.
- Create an AM schedule and a PM schedule that students can look at and check off.
- Create daily goals together.
- Allow for longer processing time (think time).
- Give brain breaks or movement breaks.